Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering
Technology is changing at a very rapid pace, and it is nearly impossible to cope with modern problems without research. To provide solutions to these problems as well as to understand the various underlying mechanisms that affect the proposed solutions, the Department of Mechanical Engineering offers Ph.D. program in Mechanical Engineering where Ph.D. supervisors and research scholars work on fundamental and applied research in an interdisciplinary manner. The Department of Mechanical Engineering has expert faculty members working in several areas covering almost all the core as well as allied disciplines of mechanical engineering. Various published research papers in international peer reviewed journals and several granted patents reflect the command and expertise of Ph.D. supervisors in their areas of interests.
As a Ph.D. degree requirement, the research scholar is required to take coursework for a minimum period of one semester which trains them in the fundamentals of research like hypothesis creation, research methodology, use of tools and more.The scholars are engaged in research in a variety of areas including
- Design Engineering
- Materials and Manufacturing
- Thermal Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Robotics and Automation
- Electric Vehicles Design and Battery Management System
- Energy Engineering
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering
The following candidates are eligible to seek admission to the Ph.D. programme
Candidates who have completed:
i) A 1-year/2-semester master’s degree programme after a 4-year/8-semester bachelor’s degree programme or a 2-year/4-semester master’s degree programme after a 3-year bachelor’s degree programme or qualifications declared equivalent to the master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed or equivalent qualification from a foreign educational institutions accredited by an assessment and accreditation agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country to assess, accredit or assure quality and standards of the educational institutions.
A relaxation of 5% marks or its equivalent grade may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/differently-abled, Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the commission from time to time.
Provided that a candidate seeking admission after a 4-year/8-semester bachelor’s degree programme should have a minimum of 75% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade on a point scale wherever the grading system is followed. A relaxation of 5% marks or its equivalent grade may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-abled, Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and other categories of candidates as per the decision of commission from time to time.
ii) Candidates who have completed the M. Phil programme with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade in a point scale. A relaxation of 5% marks or its equivalent grade may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently abled, Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and other categories of candidates as per the decision of commission from time to time.
Reservation is applicable only to Maharashtra domicile candidates provided they submit the necessary documents for reservation before interview. Outside Maharashtra candidates will be considered in open category.II. Selection Process for the admission to the Ph.D. program
1. Candidates satisfying eligibility criterion shall be called to appear for the Ph.D. entrance test conducted by MITWPU.
The exemption will be given from Ph.D. entrance test for those students who qualify UGC-NET /UGC-CSIR NET /GATE (valid score)/CEED/GPAT (valid score)and similar national tests.
2. PhD entrance test shall be qualifying with qualifying marks as 50% provided that relaxation from 50% to 45% shall be allowed for the candidates belongs to SC/ST/OBC (Non creamy layer)/Differently abled category, Economically Weaker section (EWS) and other category of candidates. The syllabus of entrance test shall consist of 50% of research methodology and 50% shall be subject specific.
3. The interview/viva-voce will be conducted by the university for test qualifying candidates. For selection of candidates a weightage of 70% to the entrance test and 30% to the performance in the interview/Viva-voce shall be given. For GATE/NET/JRF /SET/GPAT/CEED qualified students, the selection will be based on Interview/Viva Voce
4. The recommended candidates will be intimated through email about their selection and the candidates will be offered Ph.D. provisional admission.
5. The eligibility of a candidate is provisional as per information provided by the candidate in his/her application form and is subject to verification of minimum eligibility conditions for admission to the program, educational documents and reservation documents (if any).
6. University keep rights to cancel admission of the Ph.D. scholars in the case of misconduct by the scholar, unsatisfactory progress/absent for consecutive two progress seminars, failure in any examination related to Ph.D., fabrication found in educational and reservation documents, candidate is found ineligible, involved in plagiarism in paper publications and thesis.
7. Provisional eligibility to appear in the selection process is no guarantee for admission to the program.
8. Candidates who will join PhD program full time, they will be provided with the stipend as per MITWPU norms.
9. PhD admission will be confirmed after successful completion of the course work with 55% or more as per UGC norms. Ph.D. programme should be minimum of three years including course work and maximum of six years from the date of admission to the Ph.D. programme.
10. A maximum of an additional two years (2) years can be given through the process of re-registration provided, however, that the total period for completion of a Ph.D. programme should not exceed eight (8) years from the date of admission in the Ph.D. programme.
11. Provided further that, female Ph.D. scholars and persons with Disabilities (having more than 40% disability) may be allowed an additional relaxation of two years(2) ; however the total period for completion of a Ph.D. program in such cases should not exceed ten (10) years from the date of admission of the programme.
12. Female candidates may be provided Maternity Leave/Child Care Leave for up to 240 days in the entire duration of Ph.D. programme.
|S.N.||Name of the Research Supervisor||Designation||Research areas of the Supervisor||Email address of the Supervisor||Scopus ID , Researchers ID, Personal website link and Vidwan profile link of the Supervisor|
|1||Dr. B. S. Kothavale||Professor||Reliability, condition based maintenance, product email@example.com||Scopus ID:57189730803
Researchers ID: G-3802-2017
Personal website link
Vidwan profile link;
|2||Dr. S. B. Barve||Professor||Advanced Manufacturing, Materials characterization, Additive and Digital Manufacturingfirstname.lastname@example.org||Website:
https://researchid.co/sbbarve Scopus ID:
36466151200 Researchers ID:
AAT-8838-2020 Vidwan profile link;
|3||Dr. M. M. Lele||Professor||Heat Exchanger,
HVAC, Cryogenic Engineering, Mixed Convection,
|email@example.com||Scopus Author ID: 55635449000
|4||Dr. G. M. Kakandikar||Professor||CAD/CAM/CAE, Advanced Manufacturing, Digital Manufacturing, Materials Characterizationfirstname.lastname@example.org||www.kakandikar.in Orcid Id
00000031204009 Scopus Id
55874256900 Researcher Id
|5||Dr. D. P. Hujare||Professor||NVH
Acoustics and Vibration
|email@example.com||Scopus Author ID: 57205059826 Researcher ID
https://deepakhujare.wixsite.com/mysite Vidwan ID
|6||Dr. K. V. Mali||Professor||HVACR, Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, CFDfirstname.lastname@example.org||kundlikvmali.in|
|7||Dr. Anand Kulkarni||Professor||AI based Nature Inspired Optimization Methods & Applicationsemail@example.com||SCOPUS: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=57212664439 URL: sites.google.com/site/oatresearch/anand-jayant-kulkarni ResearcherID: www.researcherid.com/rid/O-3585-2016
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0001-6242-9492
|8||Dr. P. M. Gadhe||Asso. Professor||Solar Thermal, Heat Transfer, CFDfirstname.lastname@example.org||Scopus ID:56529637200|
|9||Dr. Atul Elgandelwar||Asso. Professor||Heat Transfer,Fluid Mechanics, Natural circulation in water-tube email@example.com||Scopus ID-57216155324,Web of Science ResearcherID: ABC-1497-2020|
|10||Dr. R. R. Ghadge||Asso. Professor||Composite materials and structures,
Machine learning for Material discovery,
Uncertainty based design optimization.
Fatigue analysis of composite joints/ structures.
AI/ML based composite product design.
|firstname.lastname@example.org||Scopus ID: 57222344585 Web of Science ID : ADP-9131-2022
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=Hx_NK_sAAAAJ&hl=en Researchers ID:
Vidwan profile link;
|11||Dr. R. R. Ghorpade||Asso. Professor||Composite materials, Bio email@example.com||Personal Web: https://sites.google.com/mitwpu.edu.in/drratnakarghorpade/
Linked In https://in.linkedin.com/in/dr-ratnakar-r-ghorpade-429a9436
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=3egailoAAAAJ&hl=en
Web of Science Researcher ID: O-5929-2016, AAI-1837-2021
Vidwan Inflibnet: https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/146921
|12||Dr. D. R. Waghole||Asso. Professor||Heat transfer equipments,Renewable Energy,
Nanofludics,EV(BTMS /FC),Operations Research,
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4128-4500 ResearcherID:
|13||Dr. V. S. Kanthale||Asso. Professor||NVH, Fatigue, Composite Materials, MR Fluid, Nano Finishingfirstname.lastname@example.org||Scopus ID:57209203863
|14||Dr. S. Razdan||Asst. Professor||NVH, Vehicle Dynamics, Machine Tool Design, Bamboo Composite, Material, Characterisation, Mechatronicsemail@example.com||https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=Ee7sMi4AAAAJ&hl=en
|15||Dr. M. V. Kulkarni||Asst. Professor||Acoustics and Noise Control,
Acoustics and Vibration
SCOPUS ID: 57202996731
|16||Dr. P. N. Dhatrak||Asst. Professor||Biomechanical Engineering, FEA, Fatigue, Vibration , Design of Medical Devices, Bone Modellingfirstname.lastname@example.org||https://pankajdhatrak.netlify.app/
|17||Dr Puskaraj D Sonawwanay||Asst. Professor||Product Design, Biomechanical Engineering, Materials Characterisation, Materials Processing, Concentrated Solar Energyemail@example.com||https://puskarajdsonawwanay.com/ Orcid Id
0000-0002-8985-8622 Scopus Id
57204039130 Researcher Id
|18||Dr. R. K. Jagtap||Asst. Professor||ISF, Manufacturing, Additive Manufacturingfirstname.lastname@example.org||https://sites.google.com/view/rkjagtap
SCOPUS ID: 57205182522
|19||Dr. Gopinath T.||Asst. Professor||Welding;
Solid State Diffusion; Physical Metallurgy
|email@example.com||Scopus ID: 55832153200 ORCID:
|20||Dr. Deepak Kumar||Asst. Professor||Computational fluid dynamics,
Flow control and drag reduction, Two-phase flow, Energy storage
|firstname.lastname@example.org||Scopus Profile link: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=57226701487 Scopus ID: 57226701487 Orcid id: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9016-2411|
|21||Dr. Parshant Kumar||Asst. Professor||Mechanical Behaviour of Materials,
Friction and Wear Characteristics of Materials,
Fiber and Particulate Reinforced Composites,
Stress Map Analysis using Photoelastic Techniques,
Friction Stir Processing
|email@example.com Contact no: - 9419171757||Scopus Profile Link: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=57203375174 ORCID Id: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7182-1645|
|22||Dr. Sabana Azim||Asst. Professor||Micromachining of difficult-to-cut materials, Surface integrity in firstname.lastname@example.org Contact No: 7008874625||Google Scholar Link:
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=qdrLegQAAAAJ&hl=en ORCID Id: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3251-9945
|23||Dr. Ganesh Jadhav||Asst. Professor||Ergonomics, Product Design, Industrial Engineering, Production Engineering, Time Study, Motion Study, Value stream Mapping, Craft Mechanizationemail@example.com||Scopus Profile link